LOOP THE VEDDER 2020
We are excited to announce this is NOT another virtual run!
We’ve spent the last many weeks collaborating far and wide on an adequate alternate race plan that fits our ‘new normal’ and we believe that we have something to be excited about! It’s not an event in which we will all gather together again quite yet, but it is a race that you will cross an official start and finish line and will compete against other registered runners for an official race time!
Scroll down for more details and return to this page for any updates!
Date: Saturday, October 31st, 2020
Distance: 21km | 10km – both distances sold out!
Get off the road and hit the trails! This scenic loop course boasts a fast and flat gravel terrain and winding single-track sections. Set along the majestic Vedder River in Chilliwack, BC, this fantastic half marathon loop is characterized by the breathtaking backdrop of the Chilliwack River Valley and views of Vedder Mountain and the Cascade Mountain Range.
A local favourite, the Vedder Rotary Trail is sure to give road and trail runners of all ages and abilities a fun, yet challenging and uniquely rewarding off road trail experience.
The journey is filled with peaks and valleys. Find the beauty in both.
RUN WILD. RUN FREE. RUN BEYOND.
- Date: Saturday October 31, 2020
- Distances: 21km, 10km
- Start times: Between 8am & 2pm.
- You will register for a one hour starting window between 8am and 2pm. Your actual start time within your one hour window is at your discretion, but you MUST start within your window.
- Start/Finish area: Vedder Bridge Green Space, Corner of Petawawa Road & Vedder Road, Chilliwack.
- There will be a separate start & finish area for both the 21km & 10km distance. You will receive a map via email in the week prior to race day with details on your respective start and finish area. Please ensure you review the map and are familiar with the area you are to attend prior to arriving. There will be no gathering permitted at the start or finish chutes. The areas will be corralled off to accommodate one-way flow of traffic. Volunteers will be on site to direct participants accordingly.
- Registration is now closed.
- Both the half marathon and 10k distance is SOLD OUT.
- There will be no race day registration.
- Registration includes the following:
- Souvenir finishing medal
- Souvenir t-shirt
- Race bib
- Individual timing
- Participant insurance
At this time there is no pre-arranged running clinic leading up to this race.
- Friday, October 30 – 1.00pm – 6.00pm
- Outdoor package pick-up at Garrison Running Co.- 45590 Market Way, Unit 2, Chilliwack
- There will be no race day package pick-up.
- Race packages will be prepackaged at least 72 hours in advance of pick-up day.
- A COVID-19 health check and waiver will be required to be provided in exchange for your race package. This form can only be completed in the 24 hours prior to your starting window and will be emailed to you directly in the week prior to the race.
- To reduce the number of people picking up packages, we will allow packages to be picked up on behalf of another runner. To pick up a package for another registered runner, you will need to provide a copy of their registration confirmation email and the completed health form.
- Health and safety guidelines will be in place. If attending package pickup please adhere to the following:
- If you don’t feel well or are displaying symptoms of COVID-19, you must stay home.
- If you have traveled outside of Canada, you must have self-isolated for a minimum of 14 days prior to attending.
- If you live in a household with someone who has COVID-19 or is showing symptoms of COVID19, please stay home.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided, please use it.
- Comply with physical distancing measures at all time.
- Masks will be required if you wish to enter the store (Garrison Running Co.).
Aid Stations: To reduce contact and enhance safety of runners and volunteers, it is encouraged that the route be treated as self-supported. There will be a total of three contactless emergency aid stations along the 21km route and one aid station for the 10k at the turnaround at Hopedale Road. Items at the aid stations will include water, packaged energy gels, and first aid items.
Parking: Recommended parking can be found at Vedder Park. Please allow yourself enough time to walk to the start line.
In an effort to adhere to COVID-19 guidelines and maintain physical distance requirements, unfortunately we will not be hosting the Kids Run in 2020.
If you are looking to get your kids involved in running, stay tuned as we will be launching a special option for kids in the fall of 2020. If you wish to express interest in kids running please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org including the number of children and their ages.
Half Marathon Route
Starting at Vedder Park on the north side of the river, you will follow the Vedder Rotary Trail, through the Blue Heron Nature Reserve and out onto the river dyke trail, where spectacular farm land views and mountain vistas abound. Crossing the river at the Keith Wilson bridge (via the cloverleaf underpasses) takes you to the south side dyke and into the quaint riverside village of Yarrow. As you continue through single track woods along the river bank and Brown Creek Wetlands, you will come to valley views across the river of Mt Cheam and the Cascade Mountain Range. A short, but steep climb brings you back in view of Vedder Bridge and the finish line across the river.
PLEASE NOTE: The half marathon route has been amended to accommodate one-way directional routing on the trail as a result of COVID-19 guidelines. Please familiarize yourself with the route by clicking the map to the left.
From Vedder Park you head out onto the Vedder Rotary Trail at Kilometer 0. Running west along the river towards the 3k marker at Lickman Road, you will cross over onto the Peach Creek Trail. At the end of the Peach Creek section of trail you will come to the aid station and turnaround for the 10km. Follow the wooden bridge to the left back to the main Rotary Trail for your return trip to Vedder Park. You will finish the route heading back with stunning views into the Chilliwack River Valley and surrounding mountains. With the adjustment to the route this year to accommodate one way traffic along the trails, there is a small loop to complete as you approach Vedder Bridge. Head off the trail to the left for a final 400m loop around Vedder Field and into the finish line.
PLEASE NOTE: The 10K route has been amended to accommodate one-way directional routing on the trail as a result of COVID-19 guidelines. Please familiarize yourself with the route by clicking the map to the left.